Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Uh... yeah, I meant to do that!

"Dear Variety, I never thought this would happen to me..."

I gave a draft of the current screenplay to my wife, who did me the favor of reading it. Among other things, she commented on a particular action by one of the characters, saying that she really liked how this action symbolized a later set of actions, and it was tied together really nicely.

And I'm all, "...buh?" Because I didn't do it on purpose. I never even thought about it. And there were approximately half a dozen times where she pointed out another such element in the screenplay, that I had never consciously thought about. So either:

1) I'm a screenwriting savant. (Insert your own "idiot savant" joke here.)
2) It was just sheer coincidence.
3) The deliberate, thorough, lengthy method which I used to write this screenplay ended up just sort of naturally coming together, because of the thoroughness with which I worked out all the story beats and character elements to begin with.

What I call "thorough" others might call "anal retentive," though, so, actual mileage may vary. Anyway, I'm keeping this short so that I don't spend hours tweaking the blog and instead spend hours tweaking the screenplay.